Peapods aims to work in partnership with parents/carers to settle the child into the group environment to ensure they feel safe, secure and comfortable with staff and their surroundings. We aim to give consideration to the individual needs of children and families and give confidence to parents, enabling them to feel comfortable so that the needs of their child will be met.
- Following enrolment, children and parents/carers will be invited to come for ‘settling in’ sessions.
- A key person will be allocated to each child and the family prior to the child starting Nursery (or after a period of the child settling in, depending on what meets the needs of the individual child).
- The first ‘settling in’ sessions will be used to introduce the key person, gain as much information about the child, complete registration forms, ‘All About Me’, Room Based Questionnaire’ and introduce the child and parents/carers to the policies and procedures of the Nursery.
- Afterwards, Parents will be invited to join their child for short ‘settling in’ sessions and then leave children for short sessions.
- Parents will be encouraged to say goodbye to their child, and it will be explained that they will be coming back at the end of the session.
- Children will be comforted if they become distressed.
- Regular discussion will take place with parents around their child’s progress and how their child is settling in. These will be based on relationships with staff and peers, participation in activities, familiarity with routines and the whereabouts of resources and equipment.
Requirements for your child’s first day:
- Nappies/wipes and creams if needed
- Spare change of clothes (labelled)
- Any comfort item which they may need during the day (dummy, blanket, cuddly toy)
Staff will inform you on daily basis if supplies need to be replenished.